At the University of Michigan, our dedication to academic excellence for the public good is inseparable from our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. It is central to our mission as an educational institution to ensure that each member of our community has full opportunity to thrive in our environment, for we believe that diversity is key to individual flourishing, educational excellence and the advancement of knowledge.
Following a yearlong, grassroots planning effort, the University of Michigan on Oct. 6, 2016, unveiled its universitywide strategic plan for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
U-M has committed $85 million in new resources over the next five years to implement the initiatives in the plans that fall into three overarching strategies:
- Creating an inclusive and equitable campus.
- Recruiting, retaining and developing a diverse university community.
- Supporting innovation and inclusive scholarship and teaching.
- On the Agenda: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at U-M
- University Record: U-M launches broad effort to develop diversity improvement plan
- Download a PDF of the Staff Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Report
- Download the Charge to the U-M Community for a Strategic Planning Process on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- View planning information for schools, colleges and units
- Video: Community Assembly on Diversity