The University of Michigan Arts Initiative seeks to energize, support, and amplify the creative ecosystem on campus to:
- Transform the student experience
- Work better together to spark ideas + innovate
- Foster a more vibrant, joyful, friendly + just world
- Build capacity and sustainability for the arts at the University of Michigan
They do this by developing programs with students, faculty, staff, and artists; convening and facilitating collaborations; and through impactful grantmaking that supports and strengthens the arts ecosystem.
With funding from the Office of the President, the University of Michigan Arts Initiative was launched in October 2019. In January 2023, the Arts Initiative entered a five-year growth phase.
The University of Michigan Arts Initiative seeks to illuminate and expand human connections, inspire collaborative creativity, and build a more just and equitable world through the arts.
The University of Michigan Arts Initiative will make the arts central to the University’s identity and mission. To achieve this, we will expand access to the arts on campus and beyond, activate them in student learning, and integrate the arts into research across disciplines. We will strengthen the arts ecosystem of southeast Michigan while also shaping national and global understandings of how the arts can lead social change.
The four main goals of the initiative are:
- Strengthening the student experience and learning by expanding and integrating the arts in teaching and learning
- Activating interdisciplinary discovery and arts research
- Broadening and deepen partnerships with communities and the public
- Building capacity and sustainability for the arts
The Arts Initiative Executive Committee consists of arts leaders from all key U-M arts units.
Anne Curzan, Dean, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts
Maryrose Flanigan, Executive Director, Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities
David Gier, Dean, School of Music, Theatre & Dance
Carlos Jackson, Dean of Stamps School of Art & Design
Jonathan Massey, Dean of the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning
Peggy McCracken, Director, LSA Institute for the Humanities
Christina Olsen, Director of the University of Michigan Museum of Art (UMMA)
Matthew VanBesien, President of the University Musical Society (UMS)
The Arts Initiative Advisory Committee consists of a broader set of collaborators from arts units, non arts units, development, communications, student life, finance, DEI, and research.
- Tom Baird, Vice President for Development
- Kate Cagney, Director, Institute for Social Research
- Tom Finholt, Vice Provost for Academic and Budgetary Affairs, Office of the Provost
- Jon Kinsey, Chief of Staff, President’s Office
- Anthony Kolenic, Director, Matthei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum
- Laura Lessnau, Director, Michigan News
- Timothy Lynch, Vice President and General Counsel/Legal Top Executive-General Counsel, Office of the President
- Elizabeth Moje, Dean, School of Education
- Maureen Schafer, Senior Director, Stewardship and Donor Relations, OUD
- Geoff Thün, Associate Vice President for Research, UMOR/ Taubman College
- Katrina Wade-Golden, Deputy Chief Diversity Officer, Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
For questions please contact Christopher Audain, Managing Director at email@example.com.