About the Award
The Office of the President welcomes nominations for the President’s Award for Distinguished Service in International Education. The purpose of this award is to recognize and celebrate the extraordinary efforts of our faculty and staff who advance international education for U-M students.
The University of Michigan offers an unparalleled breadth of global learning opportunities for our students. Each year, thousands of U-M students gain international experience through study abroad programs, intensive language immersion, internships, interdisciplinary design projects and service learning. Equally important are the international students and scholars who bring cultural and intellectual diversity to our campus in Ann Arbor. They enrich our community and our scholarship and expand our global network of leadership and service.
International education is a critical component of the U-M student experience – helping them gain real-world perspectives on our greatest social and scientific challenges and practice the critical inquiry and problem-solving that are necessary to addressing these challenges.
Global learning for U-M students would not be possible without the expertise and dedication of our faculty and staff members. Our colleagues in international education create and manage complex programs that cross national borders and educational systems. They facilitate U-M student development and exploration and demonstrate flexibility and resourcefulness in working across cultures, time zones and languages.
Active faculty and staff members are eligible to be nominated. All active faculty, staff and students on all U-M campuses and in the U-M Health System are eligible to submit nominations.
The deadline for nominations is February 1, 2019.
Please submit a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 600 words describing how the nominee has demonstrated some or all of the following:
- Sustained commitment and dedication to international education for U-M students (e.g. education abroad, international student support, global learning programs on campus, institutional partnerships, intensive language programs, etc.).
- Specific accomplishments in the field of international education, e.g. successful program development, significant impact on U-M student participation, relevant research and publications, or curricular innovation.
- Leadership in the field of international education, either on campus or beyond.
- Complete the nomination form and save it as a word document with your nominee’s name in the filename.
- Verify the 500 to 600-word length of the supporting statement.
- Collect letters of support from 3 colleagues that detail the nominee’s achievements and/or service to the field (internal or external to U-M).
- Send the completed nomination form and support letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individual award nominations will be reviewed by a faculty/staff screening committee. Committee members will be selected from within the memberships of the Council on Global Engagement, the International Education Network and various departments across campus. Members of the screening committee will not be eligible to receive awards.
Content of nominations may be used for future award promotion. The award recipient will receive $1,000 in recognition of their accomplishments.