Link To: The University of Michigan Home Page
Link To: History & Traditions Home Page
Link To: History & Tradition Home Page
Link To: About The Committee
Plaques And Markers
Link To: Certificates Of Recognition
Link To: Oral History Program
Link To: Other Activities
Numbered Marker Series & Other Plaques

Tappan Hall (1894)

Named for the university’s first President in Ann Arbor, Henry Philip Tappan, and completed in 1894 for use by the College of Literature, Science, & the Arts, Tappan Hall has served the University in many ways. In addition to housing LS&A classes, it has been home to the Department of Economics, the School of Education, the Mineralogy Department, the Bureau of Industrial Relations, and the School of Business Administration, which moved into Tappan Hall when it was established in 1924.

Since 1948, the History of Art Department has occupied the building. The south wing was added in 1985 to house the Fine Arts Library and to provide a secure repository for the department’s Visual Resources Collection. Upon completion of the addition a bronze bas-relief of Tappan, executed in 1914 by sculptor Karl Bitter, was installed in the lobby.

Tappan Hall is the oldest extant classroom building on campus. The original 1894 wing was designed by the Detroit firm of Spier and Rohns; the south wing by Luckenbach/ Ziegelman & Partners.

1999

site #9