Executive Director, Division of Public Safety
and Security Search Advisory Committee
- Search opened to applicants for campus security director (PDF)
The Record Update, January, 23, 2013
The University of Michigan has retained the recruiting firm The Spelman & Johnson Group (SJG) to assist the Executive Director, Division of Public Safety and Security Search Advisory Committee with this search. A resume with an accompanying cover letter may be submitted via The Spelman and Johnson Group website at www.spelmanandjohnson.com under the link Open Positions. Interested individuals should contact the consultants assisting this search Mark Hall, search partner, at email@example.com or Ellen Heffernan, partner, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unable to contact SJG electronically, please call them at 413-529-2895.
The University Board of Regents has voted to create the new Division of Public Safety and Security and have issued a memorandum to the University community that includes an announcement of the formation of the search committee. More information is available at http://www.ur.umich.edu/update/archives/121019/safety and http://www.vpcomm.umich.edu/pa/key/resident.html.
Liz Barry, Chair, Managing Director, Life Sciences Institute
Mark Banaszak-Holl, Professor Chemistry, Professor of Macromolecular Science and Engineering, Professor of Biomedical Engineering and former Associate Vice President for Research
Darrell “Skip” Campbell, M.D., Henry King Ransom Professor of Surgery and Professor of Surgery, Medical School, and Chief Medical Officer, UMH Chief of Clinical Affairs, University of Michigan Health System
Nancy Diehl, Chief (retired), Trial Division Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office; Past President, State Bar of Michigan
E. Royster Harper, Vice President for Student Affairs
Gary Krenz, Special Counsel to the President
Debra Kowich, Interim Associate Vice President and General Counsel, Health System Legal Office
John Seto, Chief of Police, City of Ann Arbor
Kathleen Sutcliffe, Gilbert and Ruth Whitaker Professor of Business Administration and Professor of Organzational Behavior and Human Resource Management, Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Lisa M. Connolly, Project Manager, Office of the President, liaison to search
Amy Riley, Administrative Assistant, Office of the President, support to search
Charge to the Committee
The Executive Director of Public Safety and Security Search Advisory Committee is engaged to assist and advise the President in conducting a search to fill the position of Executive Director of Public Safety and Security.
With the assistance of a search consultant firm the Committee is charged with:
- Conducting a national search for candidates, soliciting and considering both external and internal prospects, and building a pool of highly qualified candidates.
- Making a concerted effort to meet federal and the institution’s affirmative action goals with respect to this position and to develop as diverse a pool as possible.
- Reviewing the candidate pool, conducting preliminary interviews, assist with identifying and possibly consulting references, advising the President of a final set of recommended candidates for her consideration, and assisting the President in recruiting efforts as required.
- Apprising the President of progress, through the committee chair and staff liaison.
- Meeting with the President to discuss final recommendations as soon as possible, consistent with identifying, recruiting, and reviewing the most highly qualified candidates.
The President’s liaison and staff from the Office of the President will support the work of the committee. The committee will have at its disposal such resources as are reasonably required to meet the goals of the search in a timely manner.